"Yes. Do I really have to read this?"
"You're a college student! Skim read....?"
"I don't do that. Never learned that."
"I'll email you. Tuesday, have it done."
"I'm going to D.C. this weekend."
"Good luck."
"Why do I have to have this language? And why do people suck?"
"Well. Go to grad school and change that. And because, you picked it."
"But I didn't knowwwww.This is supposed to be an easy class."
"..."
"By easy I mean, it's a two-thousand level class. You know what I mean."
"Three more weeks. You're in college. Work hard."
"Do I get extra credit for giving street presentations with my poster."
For the record!
One day, a long time from now, when I graduate and wonder what sorts of things I was thinking through and processing. It's stuff like this (unedited and unfinished) <--lazy college student.
Hopi is most widely recognized because of Benjamin
Whorf and his conclusions drawn from studying the Hopi language. Upon
discovering a lack of vocabulary for terms such as hour, minute, second and
year, he came to the conclusion that the Hopi people may very well experience
time in an entirely different fashion. Out of this was born the Sapir-Whorf
Hypothesis and the theory of linguistic relativity. Over time the theory has
been ebbed and cleaned up, with the basic belief that language does in some
ways shape the way one experiences reality (or notices reality, for some linguistic belief systems). One of the
most powerful things learned from the Hopi tribe is the way in which human
language puts language to non-spatial reality in a metaphorical manner. The
non-spatial entity realized here is time. The metaphors created to
conceptualize time now slip under the radar of Indo-European languages. “Most
English speakers are not even aware of their ingrained habits of
spatial-temporal metaphorizing. Overuse of a particular analogy or image
produces ‘dead metaphors,’ which cease to be recognized as metaphors” (Malotki
1983 p.14). When someone uses words such
as long, extra, or less to describe time, they are thus
shaping time into a sizeable body that is directly affecting one’s reality. Another
English/Indo-European metaphorical understanding of time is that of a
commodity. One can lose, make have, kill,
or spend time. That being said, let
us look at the Hopi understanding of time. Turns out, against the conclusions
of Benjamin Whorf, the Hopi do experience time. Generally speaking as a
nonprofessional linguist, I realize that the Hopi people experience time in two
different kinds of ways. The first we will look at is through their word inventory
and structures for day, night, and seasons. The second concept upon which we
will visit is the structure system suffix cases that are attached to third
person pronominals. These are the two main ways in which the Hopi put language
to their spatial orientation.
First, day and night. day - taala - extensive and vast repetiore. Night. Nothingness with exception of night dances.
Secondly, central to analyzing a speakers
configuration of space are identifying the “linguistic coordinates that dissect
the area taken up by the speaker, hearer and the persons or things other than
the speaker and hearer.” Hopi speakers use the same markers as English speakers’
here, there, over yonder with ya-, pa-, and aya-. Malotki (1983) presses further to
explain, “morphologically, [the Hopi’s] corresponding adverbs of place
crystallize around a series of third person pronominal bases, of which there
are four.” Hopi does not have a personal form of third person pronoun and
therefore third person is used only for orientation, referred to as “locator
bases: a-, ya-, pa, and aya-.” Attached to these locator bases
are “primary orientational distinctions” manifested in three forms: location,
goal, and source. In normal terms,
pronominal objects are mentioned by location, source, or destination. Further,
time is realized within the motion or non-motion of the object. These three cases are referred to as locative, destinative, and ablative. Locative has four further cases, destinative has two, and ablative is considered only one.
blaaaaaah.
No comments:
Post a Comment