30.3.11

got it.

I know what I want to do with my tape recorder. I want to ask people what "home" means. What it means - and what they would like it to mean, because I think I'd get two different answers that way too. And "contrast elicits meaning" says my professor. It's like cracking open an egg to see what's really in there. Today at the Genesis Shelter, Dr. Scott said that everyone has a different understanding of what home is. For some it is far away in the past and they're always looking back at it. For others it is somewhere in the future. They're always pushing onward for something they have yet to grasp. And some carry it with them. And knowing where your home is is important, I think. Or, being aware of where your personal home is. That's really important. - Dr. Scott said we can't make anyone change their home, and wherever their home is, we cannot argue with that. So we can't assume that we can expect some individual to take pride and comfort and nest in a place we provide for them, no not if that isn't home to them. Because home brings with it (or so personally would want this to be the universals) pride, emotional investment, care and comfort. A place where you can be. These are my unfinished thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment