I admit, when I first moved into schoolhouse I quickly concluded I would be friends with her, but we'd probably not make the best of friends.
Not that she was mean or a handful or anything like that at all, she was just so different than myself. She watched the news and checked the weather. She made popsicles the wrong way, I thought. She ate cereal. These things made us intrinsically different. Conversation was always light, when I like to get all of the good stuff. I'd pose a question and she'd give a real simple answer. I'd choose green, she'd say blue. She'd choose purple, I'd say yellow. We're different.
Welp, I thought. I'm glad we're roommates because we'll be friends, but this isn't a best friend sort of thing, and I probably wouldn't be friends with her in real life if we didn't live together.
We were moving the furniture one day a couple of weeks ago and I noticed something. I mean, overtime we've become more and more of friends. Like, I've realized trust is a real thing (and it's weird) that is necesary for a friendship, and it's not something one naturally can just choose to render over to another human being. No. It's this thing, where we actually really don't let anyone truly in until we trust them slowly, over time. Time is really key. (We'll call her) K just wasn't opening up because she didn't trust me, not because I'm a bad person, but I think it's fair that way. I think we shouldn't trust each other right off the bat in a way. We've got to stick around or something. I'm so glad we stuck around each other. I'm so glad we kept having our morning coffees together. I'm so glad I'm friends with someone with such a beautiful heart and interesting perspective.
Anyways. Back to the moving furniture. We moved one couch and immediately I wanted to sweep what was left behind, while she was busy moving another couch over it. I said "Hey. Can we sweep that first?" "Oh. Yeah. Sure. Let me get the dust pan." "I'll do it!" "No, you do that, I got this."
I said something, and she said yeah, I see what you want, I'll do that.
And vice versa. She'd say, why don't we put regular yogurt instead of Greek yogurt? and I do love Greek yogurt more than anything..and she knows that. Yeah. Sure.
We don't really do life the same way, but there is something crazy about giving up small things every day for another person. I'm gonna miss our morning time together. And our baking ventures. And our pool time. And grocery shopping time where she would constantly tell me not to put things in the buggy. I'm going to miss the weather report in the mornings. I'm going to miss this rhythmic understanding we've developed with each other. I'm freaking going to miss that girl.
I'm so glad we lived together. It's true, I probably wouldn't have sought her out on my own and pushed for that friendship, but now I love her, and I love it. I'm going to miss that girl and can't wait for her to come back.
No comments:
Post a Comment