10.7.11

Tomorrow's the day that my bride's gonna come.

One quick thing.

This weekend was incredible. And good for my soul.

I went to the place I formally called home and danced with friends in the middle of a field with flowers in my hair and music in my heart. Fred and I kicked off the dancing as the sun set. Slowly Cynthia and I made our ways across the floor that was surrounded by the garden of eden itself. I eventually made my way to the bride and we danced all of those dances we've danced at so many weddings before.

I can't believe this is our life.

I had the honor of spending the night on the farm with Sarah and her sisters and a couple of other friends the night before the wedding. We shotgunned some budlight on the front porch that night and did those things girls do. I fell asleep in a side room somewhere and woke up next to Sarah herself. It was kind of like when we lived in 7D when we'd wake up every morning with the sun.

I showered and porch sat and watched the cars pull out of the driveway and head to town. Sarah and I drove for miles searching for a gas station. We bought 4 large cups of coffee and bagged some creamers and headed back to the farm. The day was spent with glittery eye shadow and bobby pins. I became friends with the photographers allie and levi, as my hair and makeup was an expendable task. Allie, Levi and myself went out to play with the horses for a good half hour, and then we shotgunned some more beer. It was kind of favorite. I loved all of it.


Also. Kyle's toast the bride and groom mostly consisted of two stories. "I met Sarah one day when I came out of my room and I saw her standing at bottom of the stairs. I said "Who are you? Why are you here?" and she said, "I'm Sarah. Who are you?" and I said "Kyle."
And his other story..."One time Sarah and Jared were wrestling downstairs and I heard a gunshot. Then Jared yelled loud because Sarah shot his tooth out."

The Tau family is incredible. Mrs. Ruthanne was the dancing queen. The Willings are incredible. Mrs. Debbie prayed with the photographers before they left.

This is what it's like to get married.

And then to see all of these people growing up.
Ryan and Cynthia are moving to Phoenix in October.
Lauren and Scott have baby Samuel.
John Kenney still hasn't taken a sabbatical.
Fred is really doing well. He's got a big spacious frontier in front of him.
Carmen is back in Atlanta.
Julia and Stacey are teachers in different states...I'm friends with teachers. We're the same age. They teach high schoolers.
Stefanie is being a wife in New Orleans....not in Sri Lanka.

It's crazy. Everyone is moving so much. Yet we're still all the same.

Driving to the gas station with Sarah I was thinking outloud and came to the conclusion that this made sense. It wasn't really surreal, because it made sense. Of course they were getting married. It's the only thing left before the next thing. This is the movement.

I went out with Fred after the wedding and I came to the same conclusion. Of course we are friends. Of course because of all the places we've been. And so we can be friends.

And this morning, I had breakfast, a very late breakfast with Emily. She's moving to Charlotte. Of course she is moving to Charlotte. She's got to go. It's time.

All of these things made up my first three years of college. And here we are, the same, but different.

No comments:

Post a Comment