I'm telling you, there is something about naming things that is a really big big big freaking deal. A big deal. And it's only by God's grace that I get to be a Linguistics major.
I was reading out of this baking book I'm about to give to my dad, and Alton Brown, yeah, Alton Brown mentions some linguistical reflections
"To my mind, the greatest analytical tool in the world is classification. Classifying things leads to enlightenment, and enlightenment to deeper meaning. For instance, I used to make really lousy cheesecake until I realized that cheesecake is not a cake, it is a custard pie. Now I treat cheesecake like custard pie and everything is fine. There was a time when I did not enjoy Steven Seagal movies. Then a friend pointed out that they are all post-modern Jerry Lewis movies. Now I just can't wait for Glimmer Man III to hit DVD. That's classification at work."
God told us to name the animals too.
When we know something's proper name, something switches in us.
It's like God made the world and He made it in a true way, and we've just got to figure out what's true by grace and trust and movement.
I want to do this stuff forever. It's kind of beautiful.
I think maybe we were made to see, made to speak truth and made to name things.
And Mumford and Sons says "I shall know my name as it's called again."
There is really something in a name. Really.
Lastly: the above photograph is a picture of poundcake cupcakes with a homemade lemon curd sauce filling. With cream cheese frosting and blueberries and raspberries. I'm a little proud of them
Also. Because this is a record. I invented a new sandwich. Blueberries and thin sliced white peaches drizzled with honey and sprinkled with cinnamon sandwiched between two whole grain slices of bread. Soon I want to add spinach and goat cheese to it.
Also. The Goat Farm only confirms that fairy tales are real places with real people.


No comments:
Post a Comment