25.4.10

An Education



This movie is good. I cried...well...helplessly weeped for most of the end. The kind of weeping you can't prevent or stop or play off in any form, which was really embarrassing, but luckily everyone else was asleep for a rainy day afternoon nap.

I think the characters are what make this movie.

And. The entire movie, one said person isn't who you think they are. You want so badly for him to be who he says he is, and you believe he is who he says he is, solely for the purpose of wanting so badly for it to be true. But deep down inside, you have a feeling that something isn't ok, that everything isn't all out in the open.

I love Jenny in this movie.
Her innocence and her fearlessness to take chances and ask questions. She challenges her routine and chases something everyone tells her not to. She ends up getting hurt, but she learns hard lessons. And then, she starts over and fights to get back to the things she loved and was pursuing, the things she left because she was unsatisfied. She realizes these things don't make her happy, but she has to do the work. She wants to do the work to do it the right way again. And she does. I loved it.

Jenny's Father.
I love him too. He's ridiculous and mean and pushy and single minded. Slowly he grows and changes and believes in his daughter. His daughter is crushed and he apologizes to her. He makes her tea and cookies and tells he's sorry. He fights for her when everything falls apart.
He's tricked a lot and finds out, just like Jenny, that so much of it is lies and he doesn't get mad. He just waits outside of her door and says he loves her. He isn't made at her being foolish and girly and going off to Paris with some man. He just loves her.

And...one last thing. It's funny how Jenny turns into an Audrey Hepburn sort of figure slowly throughout the movie. It's interesting....

I loved it. And I hated it.

A perfect movie to watch on a stormy day with a belly full of homemade nachos on the Watson family getaway home floor.


No comments:

Post a Comment