6.5.11

distance.

We put out two years ago


Our thatchety boat hobbled off with a sloppy slide


Saddled with gear and coats and bags of fruit


Anticipation nearly suffocating us


Silently we’d smile into the wind


As the trees, the shore, old friends


Grew smaller


Until they were nothing but a thin line.


Tasting a faint bit of salt on our tongues


I barely knew you and you did not know me,


Yet our hearts swelled with each rise and fall


Like children or Labradors we commandeered the bow


Hands clasped tight as the sun washed our faces


Finally on our way


to kiss the shore of some place unnamed


Two years ago.


And here we are.
Baptized in salt and sun and sea and sadness.


Anticipation has grown heavy and hope burrowed deep beneath


I didn’t plan on this slow arrival.


I did not think you would need anything.


So we pull our float to some shore not familiar.


I push and pull and fight


You hold my hips as you press your lips to my ear


You say you will not leave and you will not let me go


And so


Once more we meet the thick ocean swells


My hand in yours, we smile knowingly, faces darkened by the sun


And gaze readily the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment