Tonight I had dinner with my grandparents.
During dinner my Grandmother said,
"Oh! I came across the strangest thing in my book the other day...."
and she got up from the table and walked off.
I looked at my Grandaddy and he said "Oh yeah! It is weird."
And Grandmother came back and flipped to a page asking if I had heard of the book. I nodded no as she pointed to a line at the bottom of the page.
I squinted my eyes and read "'I'll tell you how the sun rose,' said Gertrude, 'a ribbon at a time.'"
And I thought, Whaaaaaat. How do they know? Surely they haven't read Donald Miller's author's note......
And I looked up at her, with I guess an obviously confused face. She continued to pull out last year's mother's day gift I made her which was a watercolor penciled picture of the sun rising a ribbon at a time in a desert, with the words scribbled in my bad handwriting. She asked me where I had read it. And I told her it wasn't Emily Dickinson, but Don Mill. But the whole thing was silly. I had completely forgotten. It's amazing she recognized that from a scribbled water color painting. Grandparents. They're neat like that.
No comments:
Post a Comment