Since I left you, mine eye is in my mind;
And that which governs me to go about
Doth part his function and is partly blind,
Seems seeing, but effectually is out;
For it no form delivers to the heart
Of bird of flower, or shape, which it doth latch:
Of his quick objects hath the mind no part,
Nor his own vision holds what it doth catch:
For if it see the rudest or gentlest sight,
The most sweet favour or deformed'st creature,
The mountain or the sea, the day or night,
The crow or dove, it shapes them to your feature:
Incapable of more, replete with you,
My most true mind thus makes mine eye untrue.
(two things here. 1. Read this outloud, all slow and feely like. 2. I don't think this really has to be about a boy or a girl. but maybe perhaps it is. The last line gets me, as does the first. If it's about God...let's just run with that for a minute,
my friend Danny and I went to a pub the other night with a scoutmob and talked about all kinds of things. We somehow stumbled onto the conversation of how we saw God and how we see Him now. Danny said he thought he saw God so clearly back then, but now, that picture isn't at all what he believes to be true. In fact, he says he feels God is far from what he thought he was. And "the funny thing is," Danny said, "I feel like I have a better picture of God now than what I did when I was in high school, but He seems a lot farther off, like the picture is fuzzy, but definitely more correct."
And I read Psalm 50 two days ago and there's this part where God says
These things you have done, and I have been silent;
you thought that I was one like yourself.
But now I rebuke you and lay the charge before you.
And then, for peace there is Psalm 139:
If I take the wings of the dawn,
If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea,
10Even there Your hand will lead me,
And Your right hand will lay hold of me.
We're all walking down a road and our picture of God Himself gets clearer and clearer with each step. We can walk off the path as far as we want, because even there we're in His hand. He holds us loosely that we may spin and stretch in his grace. Even with misconstrued perceptions of Him or any other thing really. Isn't that beautiful?
No comments:
Post a Comment