Perhaps
I misrepresented my opinions on social media. I do believe in the inherent
goodness of Facebook and other social media and in their massive potential for
inciting positive change. However, when considered alongside Facebook's privacy
concerns, extremely corporate nature, and its widespread implementation for
mostly trivial interactions (and Facebook's lack of condemnation of this
observation), I feel that Facebook's role in affecting global culture in a
positive way is still formative, and thus I cannot accurately judge it except
from the outside. Succumbing to it's allure would erode my ability to judge
it's actual worth. Plus I've had one for so long it's time to change the
control variable and observe it from the outside. Anyways, to illustrate why
the idea of the Kony2012 campaign is so attractive I want to present a few
quick facts. 1. Over the next few years, many US police departments will begin
deploying flying drone cameras. 2. Monsanto and other corporations are
currently fighting to make it illegal to use crops who's genes are not patented
3. The FBI has admitted to the creation of programs designed to search for
keywords throughout the Facebook and Twitter networks to uncover possible
conspiracy against the government. I think you can gather the trend among these
facts and the many others that probably come to mind. It seems that technology
and information are being used against those who have less access to them. Orwell
and Huxley made wild dystopian predictions that are quite similar to these
instances. So now it's obvious why the campaign is successful. Nobody wants to
believe that citizens cannot utilize information to motivate their government
towards their needs. That is one of the basic principles of our country's
founding. It's even in the Bill of Rights (the right to petition the
government). Also, nobody wants to admit that Capitalism might fail as a
system. Hell, even admitting that Capitalism is successful forces one to
realize the selfish nature of humanity, so what does it say if even that can't
work. Capitalism enables corporations and governments to acquire extreme
resources and unprecedented amounts of information. I think a lot of people
believe that the key to the future is to keep the public's access to such
things on an equal plane. That video has 73 million views. That's almost a
quarter of the US population. So the anger at the implication that governments
and corporations have default power over the people evokes an emotional
response that is doubled by the intense subject matter. I mean this case has it
all: white guilt, protection of children, abhorrence of dictatorship, disgust
of rape and war, and I think most importantly, every human's intrinsic desire
to feel like they can affect humanity in a positive way. Now I'm not saying
either way whether I support the movement. I am aware of their controversies
with money and their association with the not-quite-upstanding Ugandan Army.
But I just wanted to stress the motivations for the movement's popularity. My
first reaction after watching it was to research any debate by detractors of
the movement, but I think that firmly places me in a minority who's influence
grows more precarious everyday. I think you know what I'm getting at. Most
people choose to believe it based on faith. Not Faith. That word does not
deserve the distinguished introduction of a capital letter. I define faith as
the taking of a position as your own without the authority to do so. That
authority comes from proving the truth of that position and weighing it against
other options. The reason I find faith so disturbingly dangerous is that it not
only invites blind adherence to whatever movement is trendy, (again, not saying
I support or detest it) but it is pretty much at the root of the issue
inspiring that movement. Kony abducts children to use as soldiers for a very
simple reason. Children are easy to teach. Except, where he might say teach we
would probably say indoctrinate. This is because children trust. In effect,
they have faith. When you tell a child that a stork flies in the window and
brings their newborn baby sister, they believe because they have not yet
learned that people lie, and they have no other knowledge of how babies are
made. As soon as they are presented with contrasting evidence, maybe in the
form of a sex-ed textbook, they begin to question. But the fact is that the
deeper and more isolated the indoctrination, the more extraordinary the
concepts can convince the child of, and the more extraordinary the evidence
needed to convince them of it's falseness. One of our greatest human weaknesses
is found in one of our principle means of survival. Confirmation bias.
Confidence. Perseverance. What ever you want to call it, it helps us to do
great things, but it sometimes inexorably impedes us from considering another
position. Now, even ignoring the fact that he uses Christian dialogue and
dogma, I see Kony's systematic indoctrination of children into soldiers as a
distilled allegory of religion as a whole. Somebody shows a Bible to a child,
teaches them it is a source of great wisdom, and relates it to the mundane
affairs of their life. As they grow, they form new brain connections and build
life experience in response to the manner of education that inspired that
growth. Breaking a person out of religious faith is like breaking someone from
a drug addiction. It is nearly physical. So when I hear, “There is nothing more
intimidating than the cold gaze of a child soldier,” I think, “and a religious
zealot, because they are the same being.” A problem unique to children is that
before they even have access to information that could negate what they are
being taught, they perhaps have undergone a regimen of daily indoctrination of
many many years. That's a lot of faith to be toppled by a single observation of
cosmology or the failures of Biblical archeology or whatever evidence one might
offer as retort. Now to see how a child's faith can become damaging as an
adult, I'll end with a quote by Vincent Otti, Kony's deputy-leader until 2007
when Kony executed him over a disagreement: "Lord’s Resistance Army is the
name of the movement, because we are fighting in the name of God. God is the
one helping us in the bush. That’s why we created this name, Lord’s Resistance
Army. And people always ask us, are we fighting for the Ten Commandments of
God. That is true, because the Ten Commandments of God is the constitution that
God has given to the people of the world. All people. If you go to the
constitution, nobody will accept people who steal, nobody could accept to go
and take somebody’s wife, nobody could accept to innocently kill, or whatever.
The Ten Commandments carries all this.”
No comments:
Post a Comment